Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Summertime Johnny




We caught up with H-town artist/producer/promotor Summertime Johnny. He's been putting in alot of work in Houston lately. Here's what he had to say.


How did you get the name Summertime Johnny?

Its a crazy story, Im a teacher by day and artist by night, so every summer we have off, and thats when I take the time to "wild out" so to speak. During the fall, winter, and spring Im usually chilling trying to put together whatever project I have at the time. And all the fellas in my crew know this, so when summer comes around, I pretty much go on this big promotion blast, and I have been known to have some pretty ecclectic promoting strategies. So really the "Summertime Johnny" monicer came from my boys, they used to say it when I did something really outlandish because it's like the other side of John Dew tht only comes out in the summer
.
When did you start rapping?
Highschool. I was in a group called the untouchables, we actually cut a few tapes back in the early 90's, and then with my crew from my neighborhood known as the "Manor" we had a few tapes that we recorded, of which I actually still have most of those, but I wasnt going by John Dew at the time.


How does your style as an artist differ from your style as a producer?
Day, and Night literally, I am influenced by the most hip hop artist you can find. Lyrically, Im like Andre 3000, Jay Z, and 2Pac. But production wise Im like J Dilla meets Pimp C. I always wanted hip hop to appeal to the world so I just infused some of the most succesfull people in the industry and created myself.

Houston is a very finicky market, it seems like artists from Houston have to blow outside of the city before they get love at home, why's it like that?


Cause these cats at home never show love to the new guy, Its that crab in a bucket mentallity the white man gave to us back when we were slaves rearing it's ugly head in present day situations. Its not like I dont know a slew of dudes that are rediculouslly talented, its just that knowbody knows they exist. Ever since DJ Screwed rappers have nobody to help boost their careers. RIP DJ Screw, never knew how much we would really miss you.

Why do you think Rock The Bells, chose to remove Houston from it's tour?

Who in Houston even knows what it is, I mean really. These cats in Houston are not musical, we have no concept of what music is. Houstonians have no culture therefor this rap thing is way out of our league, fortunately we do have some cats that are trying to change that.

Tell Us About your latest Project?

I am just finished up my last project called "Summertime Johnny". Its basically the accounts of the last few summers I have had. The stories are real. Well as real as I could make them but then I added a few choice details to make it more interesting. It's an EP and I realeased it through my record label Council Music. I have some of the most incredible Houston artists. The sound I feel is very global. I am attempting to take you from wherever you are into a place you want to be. Its a journey. I worked with the likes of Hollywood Floss, Hash of the Council, Dustin-Prestige, Nya, Rob Jay, and J Relentless, as well as receiving production from HW Floss, Kid Krucial, JettiMastyrr, Chris Rockaway, and myself. Its a really good musically sound lyrically charged album.

How can people hear some more of your music?

Download it, it's FREE!!!!! http://usershare.net/ljm3w3getto8
#

No comments:

Post a Comment