Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Samora Suber: A Producer To Watch


We caught up with emerging Television Producer, Monifa Samora Suber, (M.S.Suber) has a creative background in theatre and dance and transitioned into the role of television producer during her sophomore year of college at Florida State University. Upon graduation, she moved to New York and started her career as a freelance TV producer, working with entities such as BET, MTV, NICK, FOX, DISNEY and small production houses. As a result, Miss Suber has been recognized by the National Association of Television Program Executives (NATPE) as a young producer to watch.
Now, M.S. Suber is working towards her Masters Degree in Theology/Christian Counseling with Covenant Bible College and Seminary while writing and teaching acting classes to at-risk youth. Through, ASM, M.S.Suber continues to produce quality media programming filled with power and purpose.

What's it like being an African American Producer in Today's Film and Television Industry?
I don't focus on the African-American perspective of my experience, but rather being new to the Industry. I think that everyone has their own experience and race isn't the determining factor of it. Overall, I can say that I have been blessed to have accomplished many of the goals I have already acheived. Media Production takes dedication, hard work,skill and a network. I have been fortunate enough to have a great group of people I surround myself with to assist me in my endeavors. I believe that is the most important aspect of the industry, knowing good industry people who respect you and want to help you.

What would you like your contribution to Film and Television to be?

My media company, Awake Spirit Media, is changing the image of Christianity in the media. Awake Spirit Media is all empowering entertainment with a mission to inspire people to love God. It is cleaning up the stereotypes of what Christianity is and creating new ways to express people's Faith.

Being that you studied theatre in college, do you reccomend that aspiring actors, actresses and producers get a formal education first or just go ahead and step out and try to make it happen as is?

Everyone has their own path, I think that essentially it takes both. Education of any field compliments real-life experience. One without the other leaves gaps in your overall process. Your education doesn't have to be in a traditional institution, as long as you are challenging yourself to learn more about your craft, you can be successful.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Five years from now I see my company, Awake Spirit Media, becoming more on the forefront of media entertainment. I know it will push the edge and change some lives, so in 5 years the whole world will be buzzing about it.

Anything else that you would like to say, now is your chance?
I am learning more about myself and what I can offer the world. I believe everyone deserves that out of life...to know yourself by knowing God and giving your experience to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment