Monday, June 8, 2009

ARE BLOGGERS THE NEW D.J.'S?

Once upon a time d.j.'s were accessible and expressed themselves through the music that they played. They didn't play music because someone told them to, someone was paying them, or the artist had a major co-sign from somebody. They played records because they liked them (sounds crazy, doesn't it), those days are long gone. Now before I go any further, let me say that there are still many quality d.j.'s out there that do break new music just because they like it. There are still many d.j.'s who support hip hop to the fullest so this is not an attack on d.j.'s as a whole...........However the game has changed drastically and in my opinion the role of the d.j. has shifted from it's roots. As an artist I don't see many d.j.'s stepping out there and trying to break records. And when I do see it, it is usually rooted in a relationship that an associate of an artist has with the d.j.. I don't expect d.j.'s to listen to every artist on MySpace that sends them some music because I respect the fact that it can get overwhelming but there has to be a better way.

This leads me to my opinion that the blogger's are the new d.j.'s. I've sent music to many blogs sites that didn't know me, my associates, what I've done......all they had was my music..Their whole decision was based exclusively on my music (Imagine That) I've been in countless blogs where I can not even tell you the name of one person who's associated with it. Now, to be fair, a lot bloggers are corporate driven to, like one of my homeys says, "If your name doesn't end in eezy ie. (Weezy, Jeezy, Yeezy) don't expect much love from alot of the major blogs." But I can say as a whole that the blog community has kept the lines of communication with the artist open.

I'd love to hear the opinion of any d.j.'s or blogger's on this. Holla

written by Mr. Nightlife

No comments:

Post a Comment